tozhemne

Delivering the Best News to you!

Horror as Liverpool man, 26, dies after choking on piece of meat during pub lunch

A Liverpool bricklayer died accidentally of choking earlier this year after going out for a pub lunch.

Described as a “big, friendly giant”, Martin Peter Weir, 26, of Broom Way in Halewood, began to gag on a piece of meat as he dined at the Mersey View public house in Halebank on April 10, reports the Liverpool Echo.

North West Ambulance Service were called and he was rushed to nearby Whiston Hospital, but he sadly died despite the best efforts of the medical team there.

At Whiston’s A&E department, treatment was carried out on Martin, including ventilation and adrenaline, but a short time later it was agreed to stop resuscitation efforts.

Sefton Coroner’s Court held an inquest into his death on August 15, where the hearing heard how Martin suffered with a condition which affected his ability to swallow.

Assistant coroner Johanna Thompson, though, said that the choking episode was “not anticipated or intended” and was therefore likely “on the balance of probability, an accidental event”.

She concluded his death was accidental due to hypoxic cardiac arrest as a result of choking.

Writing on the funeral notices, Martin’s family paid a heart-breaking tribute to him earlier this year which read: “Our son, brother, grandson, nephew and friend, we will miss you always and forever. There will be a hole in our family without Marty, our big friendly giant who always made us laugh.

“You will always be our big brother and I hope you continue to guide and protect us from wherever you are. Thank you for all the support we have received from the community, family and friends at this devastating time. We are eternally grateful. Gone but never forgotten. Rest peacefully Marty.”